Accepting SNP genomic test results for parentage confirmation
Also in News...
June 26, 2013
As announced during the 2013 Annual General Meeting, Jersey Canada has been working with our industry partners to develop a process for accepting SNP genomic test results as a form of parentage confirmation.
We are pleased to announce that a system is now in place to accept SNP genomic test results for parentage confirmation, for domestic use.
1. Hair or nasal swab samples are collected by the animal owner and submitted to Holstein Canada for low density (LD) genotest testing. Holstein Canada will invoice the animal’s owner for the $45 LD Genotest Fee.
2. Holstein Canada submits the sample to the laboratory for analysis. This process generally takes 4-6 weeks from the time the sample is received at Holstein Canada.
3. Analysis information is sent to CDN, where parents of the animal are confirmed. If there are inconsistencies, Jersey Canada will be contacted, and in turn Jersey Canada will notify the owner in an effort to correct the parents on record.
4. CDN generates a certificate confirming the parents of the animal. This certificate is made available to Jersey Canada electronically.
5. Jersey Canada updates the herdbook database with parentage confirmation details, and files the parentage certificate on site. This process will be completed on a monthly basis.
6. Jersey Canada sends a copy of the parentage certificate to the owner, and invoices the animal’s owner a $10 Administration Fee per certificate, through their Jersey Canada account.
Please note that Jersey Canada will accept SNP genomic test results for males and females, ONLY FOR DOMESTIC USE. If you intend to export semen or embryos from an animal, a microsatellite DNA test must be completed.
If you have any questions about parentage confirmation and this new service, please do not hesitate to contact any member of the Jersey Canada team.Back