Awards & Programs - Youth/Young Adult
2014 Youth Judging Contest
The Youth Judging Contest gives youth of all ages an opportunity to demonstrate their individual judging skills, and/or participate on a judging team while competing for prizes.
Deadline: September 15, 2014
- There are two divisions: Junior (12 years and under) and Senior (13-21 years).
- Entries may be made by either individuals or teams.
- Scores will be determined using cuts.
- In the case of a tie, a series of questions (below) will be taken into consideration.In the event that the parties are still tied, each will receive the corresponding prize and the subsequent placing will be skipped.
Thank-you to Rapid Bay International Sires of Ormstown, Quebec for generously sponsoring this program.
Jersey Canada Youth Scholarships
Jersey Canada offers two scholarships of $750 each to recognize outstanding interest, knowledge and achievement in the Jersey breed, as well as agriculture in general. The scholarships are available to all young Canadian Jersey enthusiasts enrolled in at least the second year of study at any post-secondary College or University. Candidates must not have previously been awarded the Jersey Canada Youth Scholarship.
Youth of Distinction
This award is presented at the Jersey Canada Annual Meeting to youth aged 18 to 25 years of age who are involved with the Jersey breed in Canada. Eligible aged candidates with strong leadership and involvement in agriculture, the community, and the Jersey breed are encouraged to apply.
Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Showmanship Competition
The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair (RAWF) Showman Competition is open to youth and young adults 10-21 years of age as of show day.
Royal Jersey Ambassador
The Royal Jersey Ambassador represents the Jersey breed at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto, Ontario. They will assist with presenting awards at the National Jersey Show, as well as meet the public and help at the Jersey booth. Applicants between the ages of 17-24 as of November 1st are encouraged to apply.
Explore The Royal Experience
This new and exciting initiative has been developed to give Jersey Youth an opportunity to participate in all aspects of ‘the Royal’, and to provide an inside look at what goes on - a complete Royal Experience. The lucky recipient will get to work for a Jersey Breeder, watch the Jersey show, interact with the public in the Jersey Canada booth...plus much more! Youth and young adults 16-21 years of age as of January 1 are eligible.
Nola Brown Continuous Achievement Award
In memory of Nola Brown, former Jersey Canada employee, this award will be presented annually at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. The value of the scholarship will be set according to earnings of the fund’s investments.
Criteria for interested applicants:
- a student entering or continuing college or university (the post secondary program does not need to be agriculture related);
- an individual who participates in activities in their home community, displays qualities of leadership and has a strong independent work ethic;
- a Canadian citizen who is connected to the Jersey business or interested and involved with the Jersey cow;
- a person who clearly demonstrates the ability to work with others in a cooperative and productive manner, has a keen interest and aptitude in some aspect of agriculture, a love of animals, contributes significantly through volunteer work and participate in extracurricular activities.
Applicants should send a resumé and cover letter outlining their achievements to the Jersey Canada office or email the Nola Brown Selection Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: September 15, 2014 (4:30 pm)